Saturday, March 10, 2012

A General Update

I've been working non-stop on a few different projects, but no photo-worthy progress to report on yet!

In somewhat exciting news, I was given the perfect excuse to justify starting a Beacon Hill.  A friend of mine is getting married, it seems as grand an occasion as any to build a massive house, plus I have until July 2013 to get it done so it won't be a rush like the last minute christmas fiasco.

I also had a chance to sit down and sort through the last lot of miniature supplies I picked up on a trip for balsa wood.  It's been both a boon and a source of frustration that every hobby shop in this city is going out of the minatures.  I am getting a lot of supplies for next to nothing, but I am going broke buying these amazingly cheap supplies - and places to keep them.

The boxes contained numerous houseworks windows, hundreds of light fixtures, miles of wiring, several bulb extractors and wire strippers, furniture kits, glassware, furniture components, ceiling tiles, wooden shingles, siding panels, stripwood, landscaping materials - and there are still three boxes to go through.  Thankfully, Walmart just "rolled back" their rubber storage bins.  I picked up some lovely red ones for a rather reasonable sum.  I have just enough room for another stack of two, hopefully I will be able to store everything else in 6 drawers worth of space.

Also, I found some amazing dollhouse books from the UK on Amazon.ca, 2 of which arrived this week.  I now have several more projects to attempt.  My scratch build is on hiatus, I lost my drive on that particular project - I'm not sure if it just wasn't speaking to me, or if I was in over my head making something so very complicated as my first real woodworking project in almost 12 years.  Either way I'm going to scale it back a bit, the house has moved in to the furnace room so I'm not confronted with it every time I come to my work space.

2 comments:

  1. It's hard to resist when there is a good sale since hobby supplies are usually quite expensive. From the photo, it looks like you've got a decent amount of space in which to create. I envy you for that. *smile*

    Taking a hiatus from a project can be good. When you come back you're bound to have a fresh approach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been blessed with finally having a dedicated build space, I can't imagine doing a full scale house on the dining room table again, i take up the entire room during a build lol.

    ReplyDelete