Saturday, May 12, 2012

Another Scratch Build - Day 3

Well an update to my Georgian townhouse project.  I sat down with it today for the first time in what seems like months, but I'm fairly certain is only weeks - if not just one week... regardless, far too long.  We've had a lot of rain the last two weeks, and that humidity has taken its toll on my plywood.  All the walls, including the front opening facade, have warped.  It made it quite a challenge to build up the box structure for this house, and I'm not entirely sure what to do with the front halves of the house.  There must be a way to flatten them back out, and I will find it.



This afternoon I dremeled out the channels for my wiring and, as previously mentioned, assembled the box structure.  I'm torn on how to tackle the entry way, I would like paneling but I don't think it would look right with the crisp white interior doors.  I also haven't decided on how to paper the interior, and until I decide that I can't build the frame that the hinges will attach to.  So many directions to go when you don't have an instruction sheet guiding your every step!

I did however decide on a colour for the front door, it will be quite red with brass fittings.  I even have a mail slot here somewhere in this crap-room to put on the front of it.  I also started working on the staircase but then ran out of the triangle wood I'm using for the steps, so tomorrow I guess I will have to go to the hobby shop along with the gym.  Luckily they are right beside each other.

I'm still not 100% sure how to attach the hinges to the front panels yet, I may have to thicken up / reinforce / flatten the front panels with columns of some sort so the screws have something to bite into, and that may be enough to take the warp out of the panels so they fit together again.  There is also the front garden to assemble, that may just do the trick too.

Every door should be red in my opinion
I'm finding the directions in this book don't make sense until you just sit down and do it, then looking back after several choice utterances, it makes perfect sense and you don't really realize where the last four hours of your life went.  I suppose it's just the way the English phrase their sentences - helps I've been Americanized!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Aaron, there is a Madison by dura-craft up on Ebay. I remember you asking about it earlier this year. Head over to the Greenleaf forums and check the link from Brae on the Ebay thread for the link! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete