Monday, July 11, 2011

Chantilly - Day 3

Day three consisted of tackling the hardwood flooring I wanted to put down in the dining room.  Pardon the pun, but this was no small undertaking.

The good news is that the cutters I found are amazing,they slice through the wood with no issue and don't damage the ends of the pieces.  The bad news is my fingers are covered in glue, I mean literally covered!  I've spent the last four hours hunched over this tiny house making very slow progress.  Thank the gods for television, that little bit of white noise is what really carried me through.

Of course the cat felt the need to help, and every time I turned around there was another piece of trim, flooring, or moulding trotting off around the corner.  One even got snapped as she pulled it against the table leg, I am so happy to have a cat today :O/

I put my first layer of stain on the floor and played around with the baseboards and door mouldings, after popping the door frame out and trying to paint it, I decided it was best to paint  the front of the frames while they are still in the plywood, then I should only have to tackle the edges after I pop them out.

One thing I have noticed about these kits is that you can't work one room at a time, as I was going along I realized that I needed to paper the living room ASAP or my progress would be immediately fubar'd when it came to papering this tiniest of homes.  No time to agonize over colour schemes here I'm afraid.  The living room is now very orange :)





I have also rediscovered a love for my hammer.  Try as I may I couldn't get the front gable wall to slide in to place to mark out where the flooring had to go.  After 45 minutes of trying to do it quietly and with dignity, I gave up, walked slowly to the storage room and came out with my full sized bammer.  A few whacks (I pictured it much like Thor building a dollhouse) and that wall will never come out again - which is just ducky in my books.

No comments:

Post a Comment