Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Chantilly - Day 4

Day four.  Lesson of the day - don't try to work on a house when you're tired.  I started the hardwood flooring in the living room of the house, and then after the strips were glued down I realized (shortly after marveling at how fast it was going) that I had chopped my baseboards rather than the floor-boards.  They look good, but it stymied the progress I was hoping to make today.

I struggled immensely getting the front shell piece in, for some reason that little sucker just didn't want to line up properly.  Thor (the hammer) was involved, as well as two breaks, numerous cups of coffee, and a lot of language normally reserved for working on cars in a remote location where no innocent ears might hear.  It's amazing how many names you can call an inanimate object!

I still have no idea what I want to do with the upper two rooms, to simply paint them seems like a cop out, but I can't really think of an alternative, the selections of wallpapers are somewhat limited in Calgary and I don't want to continue on with the ones I have.. although because of the stair well I may be able to carry the orange up into the second floor and throw a piece of moulding over to cover the gap.


Tomorrow I will need to make a trip to get more balsa wood regardless, so mayhap they will have some new and exciting stock to spur my creativity.  I am still enamoured with this mitre-scissor thing, I'm sure anyone that does any amount of work on dollhouses has a pair of these already but I think they are just about the greatest things ever invented by man (or woman).  I'm also debating painting the floorboards, I think the living room is going to get very dark very quickly if I stain it the same as the dining room.  Also i require the fireplace insert I ordered a week ago to arrive very quickly, as now I'm not entirely sure where I will put it, originally i was thinking of tucking it in a corner or under the stairs, but that would require some chimney making, and under the stairs just wouldn't make any logical sense at all.


I dug out my pasta press and rolled out some polymer clay to start on the ceiling medallion.  Once i got my circle cut I realized I don't really know what a ceiling medallion looks like other than it's round.  After some quick research I decided to keep it simple, added a smaller circle and baked.  And forgot about the baking.  And burned the medallion.  The resulting colour was amazing but wouldn't go with the room at all (boooooo). I then added some leaves and a hook for a non-functional chandalier I will tackle later one.  A few coats of magic white paint (does anyone else tire of white rather quickly?) and it's ready to be glued on once I square up the second floor.

1 comment:

  1. Scrapbook paper makes great wallpaper. It's hard to find prints of a small enough scale, but not impossible...and papering the walls with a solid colored paper is a hell of lot easier than painting them....and sanding them, and painting them and sanding them and painting them.

    I'm not sure what's most commonly used to apply it, I use gel medium.

    ReplyDelete